Tuesday, August 12, 2008

changes all the time

I've been gone, vacationing, reunioning, seeing a daughter home from a mission, seeing a son off on a mission. Everything keeps moving along so quickly, and I'm likc a rock in the middle of the stream, watching it all go by around me.

USCIS is still processing our I-800 A forms for Lou Juan's adoption. We did our biometrics (computerized fingerprints, kinda fun, and the Homeland Security office is like the DMV plus uniforms and guns...) We haven't heard from Lou Juan's tutor in a month. I am a little bit concerned about that, but I know she is busy, and it's Olympics time there in China, so everyone is probably obsessing about that.

We sent John off on the plane to Brazil this morning. It was a happy/sad thing. I'm VERY happy that he chooses to serve a mission and is worthy to do so. But sad, you know...I'll miss him. But it's all good. It was hard to look him in the face this morning and know I wouldn't see him for two years. And hard again this afternoon when I found a highly amusing picture of a friend of his at Senior Ball wearing a kilt...and couldn't share the joy. And, given my experiences when my first child went on a mission, it will probably be weird and difficult for about a week, and then overall VERY good with occasional bouts of missing him for the next two years. It's really fun and amazing to follow the progress of a son or daughter on a mission, and to share that experience.

And, of course, Caitlin came home from her mission in Taiwan on July 29th. This was joyful, amazing and good. But from that day until this, we've had a nonstop whirlwind of activity. The last month of summer vacation whipped by in seconds, with travel, travel, travel, visiting, visitors, getting John ready, and now....school starts tomorrow. Caitlin goes back to BYU next week. We will be able to rest maybe a tiny bit between now and then.

Life is good. I'm tired today, and still have some last minute back to school stuff to do...yeesh.
Seminary starts tomorrow as well, so we'll be up and running by 5 am. Looking forward to another year of new things.

3 comments:

Putz said...

i guess i really am a blog addict...i blog to you before even your kids blog to you...you will have to excuse my exhuberance....i think it is neat about your kids(missionaries), did you read about our horrible thing just one town up from us??????the handcart run into by a truck from idaho, and a little girl rein acting handcart pioneers and a granddad killed and a couple others hurt....so sad for small towns or i guess any town

merrilykaroly said...

yay Caitlin's home! wow, you're going to have had nonstop blessings for 3 1/2 years having kids in the mission field!

Unknown said...

Yay! Happy/sad, you're right. ANd lots of crazy stuff in your (our) family right now.

I didn't hear about the handcart thing putz. I'm not sure whether I want to read about it or not...