Thursday, August 14, 2008

whew

I am not very well organized. And I am enthusiastic about too many things. And I like to start things...big things...and have a hard time finishing them. So I am feeling overwhelmed with my amazing self. I have about 18 unfinished projects around the house. Actually...more, I'll bet. And I want to do them ALLLLLL.

My current favorite project is my yard. It is a perpetual thing. I have lived in this house for over 20 years, and I am always adding a new garden, or tearing out a garden and putting something else in its place. BUT the catch is that they're never quite finished before I change them. And there's usually a half done look to them that is not very restful or lovely.

You should understand that I live on five acres in the chapparral (oak/fir woodland), so there's a vast area of potential garden out there, but no neighbors to be offended by my unfinished work...

Last year I tore out our back lawn and started creating a perennial garden in its place. It is 2/3 done. There is a very lovely (but weedy) flower/shrub area on one side of a laboriously installed cast concrete path. On the other side of the path is....a vast weed patch, three feet tall and very stickery. Eventually, all of this will be tamed and beautiful. Or will it?

I am planning on tearing out two ornamental ponds I built in my "japanese-y garden" in the front yard, because one of them leaks. My vision is to create one LARGE ornamenetal pond (with waterfall built into the slope behind it) with a flexible liner that cannot be ripped/cracked by the deer to like to stand in the pond to drink. I'm going to wait until fall to do this...it's too hot outdoors to undertake any huge digging/concrete smashing work right now.

And I have other plans after that to landscape the large area where my dogs hang out (Putz, I think I have more than you do...nine) after that. Vision: patio/firepit, surrounded by beautiful plants, and a view of the sunset. Very dog resistant plants...dogs like to pick flowers as much as I do. But they eat them.

And....you know what all of this is about? The more I have big plans like this, the less I can pay attention to the things that I SHOULD be doing, but really don't want to do. Like: study for the college class I'm taking. Do the dishes. Fold the laundry. Mop the floor. Clean the garage. Etc. Anything to avoid the boring work. And the irony is that if I just DID those other things (a little bit at a time every day) I would have lots more time for my projects. My brain knows that, but whatever bit of me is still an 11 year old slacker doesn't listen.

I am very good at all out efforts...all-or-nothing, work-myself-into-the-ground, maniacal huge superwoman jobs. I'm not so good at 15 minute chores. I like challenges, unless they're mundane little ones. I (me, personally) must be a mundane little challenge, because I never seem to be able to master it. Gotta think small.....

7 comments:

Putz said...

DO YOU HAVE any of those california ice plants any place on your spread???i saw them once in san clemente and was very impressed with them?????

Allison said...

I don't have them...we're too far north. But they do withstand freezing temps, so could probably grow in UT. They're kind of dismissed as "freeway" plants...because you can start them simply by throwing them out on prepared soil and keeping them sort of moist until they're established they use them for freeway medians in a lot of places in the state. Nice, with their BRIGHT pink or yellow flowers. Very easy to grow. They might not plant them up here because deer would eat them...lots of water in those fat leaves.

Allison said...

I don't have them...we're too far north. But they do withstand freezing temps, so could probably grow in UT. They're kind of dismissed as "freeway" plants...because you can start them simply by throwing them out on prepared soil and keeping them sort of moist until they're established they use them for freeway medians in a lot of places in the state. Nice, with their BRIGHT pink or yellow flowers. Very easy to grow. They might not plant them up here because deer would eat them...lots of water in those fat leaves.

Unknown said...

Hey, mom...

it sounds kind of familiar. I think a piece of me is very much like that, and another piece of me is always angry at myself for not getting one thing done before I do another. So I whip myself into doing it. I'm probably less happy than you, that way. :)

I've been culling and getting rid of stuff lately. After being in that beach house (lovely, restful space) I realized my biggest problem is I have too much STUFF, and what I do have to have, I don't have a place for everything. So I'm working on that right now, in preparation for homeschooling and not having an hour every single day to tidy all our masses of "stuff!"

(this does not, of course, ever apply to books. You can never have too many books.)

Putz said...

I WANT YOU TO GO TO MY BLOG right now AND TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK OF MY LIST

Linda said...

I'm all admiration! You Do have a lovely (wildish) garden that I enjoy. I have NO garden unless you count my lantana that has taken over my porch. I can't even claim that as a project of mine because my visiting teacher showed up one day (out of pity) with a crew of ward members and planted them. They would be very beautiful if I took care of them.

I wish you could hire Greg to build your pond and waterfall as he is an expert on that having done it for a living. He currently works with chemicals to controls weeds in ponds/lakes and that sort of thing. I need to hire him myself to do my landscaping. (sigh)

Allison said...

Linda, I'm glad you think my garden is nice, even though it's wildish. It is more wildish than nice, sometimes. And I wish Greg COULD help me with the pond. But it's OK. I will get it all done, someday. I think the perfect garden is one that doens't need much care but looks good anyway, even if neglected. So...lantana (can't grow it here, because it's too cold) rosemary, lavender, herbs, society garlic. iris, daffodils, trumpet vine, all that stuff that runs wild when left in peace.